The British High Commission is responsible for developing and maintaining relations between the UK and Malaysia.

The High Commission represents the British Government in its relations with the Malaysian Government and present British policies to the Malaysian Government and to Malaysians. They report and explain Malaysian policies to the British Government and support British interests as well as coordinating the political, economic, environmental and commercial activities of the British Government.

With nearly 16,000 Britons living in Malaysia and over 401,000 visiting every year, the High Commission supports British nationals if they need assistance. 

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you are in Malaysia and you urgently need consular assistance (e.g if you have been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call 03 2170 2200. If you are in the UK and concerned about a British national in Malaysia, contact us on +603 2170 2200.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel. For more information see:

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible at:

Please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment. Please note that an emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. 

You may also be required to obtain a special pass from Malaysian Immigration Department, to be affixed in your emergency travel document. The Consular Section will issue you with a letter, to support your request with Malaysian Immigration.

Support if you have been arrested

The British High Commission will do all they can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Malaysia. They cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Local medical facilities and practitioners

Use the following list of local medical facilities and practitioners if you need help in Malaysia: Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British High Commission or the UK Government.

How else they can help

In addition to the services listed above they can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services the High Commission can provide, see 'Support for British nationals abroad: A guide':

For general information on living in or planning to live in Malaysia, see:

Contact Form